How To Be Always Prepared For Unexpected Guests
Ring ring! Your friends you haven’t seen in forever call you to say “We’ll be at your place in 15 minutes. Get ready!” This happens to all of us from time to time. Now what if we told you, you could handle these surprise visits without any stress and with pride?
We love our unexpected guests, but what we don’t love is the moments of feeling overwhelmed when we realize we have to condense a days planning into 15 minutes - or less. What can you do to still impress them and pull together an amazing dinner at a moment's notice?
We’ve put together a shortlist of spontaneous hacks that will guarantee you and your unexpected guests a great time - minus the stress. You know - #lifesimplified!
1. Speed cleaning? No problem. Here’s our checklist:
- If you have any dirty dishes lying around, simply put them into your dishwasher.
- Focus on surfaces. If you haven’t dusted them for a couple of days, you can quickly run a cloth over visible areas - especially those you might be hanging around at.
Remember that we all tend to see and judge the cleanliness of our own homes more harshly than others. The worst thing you can do is run around and try to make everything look perfect. No need. Trust us - your guests will not notice those fingerprints on your mirror you saw this morning.2. Prep some items for later
- Special glasses? Take them out earlier and check if they’re okay to use or need an extra round in the dishwasher.
- Place beverages of your choice into the fridge or pop them in the freezer for a speedy cool-down (but not for too long!).
- Take out some snacks and get them ready as appetizers. You can even cut some fruit you have at home.
Make sure to always have some nuts and dried fruits in case of emergencies like this. They stay fresh for a long while and always look great! They’re not only useful for unexpected guests but also as a healthy snack for your sudden cravings.
3. Set the atmosphere
- If you want to create a welcoming ambience, you can dim the lights a little and light a few candles here and there - maybe even the scented ones.
- How about a little music? Some jazzy tunes in the background won’t hurt. Now you’re ready to welcome your guests!
4. What about food?
- Don’t put too much stress on yourself with preparing the perfect meal. Use up whatever you have in the fridge. Here’s a couple of good options with which you simply cannot go wrong:
- Pinwheel sandwiches - if you happen to have some tortilla wraps, you can quickly put together a batch of those. You can play with ingredients and colors, make them vegetarian, vegan, with meat - possibilities are endless. Check Pinterest for great inspiration or just throw in whatever you have in the fridge.
- Regular sandwiches - you can try to get creative with those. Good quality, fresh bread is definitely the base for a delicious sandwich. Your guests will appreciate some tasty carbs for sure.
- Sheet Pan Dish - so in these days. Just put everything into one pan, add some spices and cook it in the oven.
- Pasta - how about a simple one with tomato sauce and cheese? If you’re feeling a little more adventurous and have a good oil stashed in your kitchen, go for “aglio oglio.” Don’t worry about it not being fancy enough - after all, Italian cuisine is rooted in simplicity and great ingredients. We’re sure your friends will appreciate the “cheat day.”
- Simple salad is also an option, especially in warmer weather - check what you have available and improvise. Add some bread for the hungry ones and your dinner is ready.
- Dessert? Go with ice cream - that’s so easy to get, even in your nearest corner shop.
PRO TIP! When you’re forced to improvise and you don’t really have time to prepare, go with dishes you feel most comfortable putting together. Experiment - but don’t go overboard. Go with your gut feeling and don’t feel bad about not serving a 5-course meal with the perfect beverage pairings. After all, it’s all about spending quality time together and not stressing out about the ideal dish!
Life can sometimes get dramatic. Thankfully, at least Gorenje Simplicity home appliances are completely drama-free with sleek and clean looks, a flawless user experience, and amazing value for money:
Adaptive technology that recognizes the user's needs or habits
Automatic programmes deliver perfect results everytime
Intuitive one-step controls ensure ease of use for seasoned users as well as newcomers
You might also like to read: